Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Partial Find and Append

TJ2
7 - Meteor

If possible I am trying to do a lookup to a table to refer to some information that is needed. The lookup field (Item Short) contains an abbreviated form of the referenced item  (Item Long). I need to match to obtain the information in the Code field. 

See the depiction below further demonstrate what I am looking for.

The Find Replace Tool doesn't work. Are there any other methods to accomplish this?

TJ2_1-1658763331573.png

2 REPLIES 2
Amol_Telore
11 - Bolide

Hey @TJ2 

I tried using find and replace tool and I am able to tag code with Item short field. Attached is my solution. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Amol_Telore_0-1658763988416.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Here's two possibilities I can think of @TJ2 - the first option uses the Find & Replace tool but the other way round, checking whether or not the long item contains the short item and then appending if so, before trimming off the long item. The second approach acts much the same, however, does a full append of all long items to all short items and then filters out records where the short isn't contained within the long and so computationally, this is a worse approach. I'm not sure if some of your fields are full abbreviations i.e. there won't always be a direct match of something in the short and long fields. However, if not these approaches should work:

DataNath_0-1658764063705.png

Labels