Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Overwriting Formulas in Output Range

prakash-shetty
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow which overwrites the data in approx 250 files by using change entire path Output option. Problem is that when end user erroneously  update formula in the output range, Alteryx is not able to proceed with the updates & give an error "Unable to overwrite a cell that contains a formula".  Each time there is a formula in the range Alteryx stops & I need to manually delete the formulas from the output file and rerun the workflow. Considering the volumes of files and frequent intervention due to this error it is taking lot of time to execute Alteryx workflow. 

Do we have any option wherein Alteryx can overwrite the formulas in the data range or ignore the error & continue with data updation for rest of the files & provide with error log with list of files for data not updated due to this issue. 

I am attaching a simple workflow wherein output is getting updated to different test files. If you update formula in output range in any of the test files you should be able to see the error. 

12 REPLIES 12
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @prakash-shetty 

Can you provide us the sample excel files that are giving you the error and snapshot error faced?

prakash-shetty
7 - Meteor

Here is the attached test files that I have created alongwith error details. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @prakash-shetty 

Strange but it's working for me even when the formula is there. Only when I open excel after output it gave me a warning formula was removed.

Run log:

atcodedog05_0-1625323528719.png

File:

atcodedog05_1-1625323583700.png

atcodedog05_2-1625323583908.png

I am using 2020.1 can I know if you are using an older version than mine.

prakash-shetty
7 - Meteor

Hello @ atcodedog05 

I am using version Alteryx version 2020.3. I believe in your case though you are not getting error, but it seems file is opening in repair mode. User may need to resave the file to fix repair issue. 

Regards

Prakash Shetty

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @prakash-shetty 

Repair warning is not a major issue. You can check with my files from your end too. Place all the files and workflow in the same folder and run the workflow.

prakash-shetty
7 - Meteor

I checked test3 files it is opening in repair mode. When I am trying to save it is asking for save as option.

prakashshetty_0-1625334416116.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @prakash-shetty 

I have the solution that if the error occur, can ignore it and continue update.

The solution is that using Batch macro.

Result of using Batch macro

AkimasaKajitani_0-1625368841554.png

Batch Macro :

AkimasaKajitani_2-1625369101550.png

Workflow:

AkimasaKajitani_1-1625368963380.png

Macro setting:

The important point is using Group by option.

AkimasaKajitani_3-1625369144091.png

AkimasaKajitani_4-1625369157474.png

And if you want to know which files error occur, you can analyze the Alteryx log.

When you want Alteryx log, you can set the option at User Setting and so on.

AkimasaKajitani_5-1625369439859.png

The Alteryx log is the same as the message showing at result window.

prakash-shetty
7 - Meteor

Hello @AkimasaKajitani 

Looking at your output this is exactly what I was looking for, but unfortunately I am unable to open your workflow may be due to difference in Alteryx version.  Currently I am using 2020.3 version. 

I haven't explored much on Batch Macro. Is there any way I can open workflow that you have shared.?

Labels