Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Outputting to a Formatted Excel Spreadsheet with a dynamic name

Ernest_I
5 - Atom

Greetings!

Does anyone know a way to output to a dynamically named excel file that is already formatted in a specific manner?

I have figured out to make my outputs have names that are configured dynamically, such as including the current date and time. I have also figured out that I can output to a pre-configured spreadsheet complete with all the formatting already built in This part is somewhat complex in that I build the blank formatted spreadsheet first and then run an event prior to the Alteryx workflow running that runs a batch file that robo-copies the formatted excel file to my output destination. Then when the Alteryx workflow runs, it outputs to the formatted file. This file is blank except for things like column headers or sum/subtotal formulas at the top of the page. This creates a repeatable process wherein the user doesn't have to spend formatting an excel file needlessly every time the Alteryx process produces an output. 

But I haven't been able to figure out how to do both of these in the same workflow. When I output to a formatted file, the name is generic and does not include dates or times. If I configure Alteryx to dynamically name the file, then it will ignore my formatted file and create a newly named file that has no formatting included. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Why can't you pull in the file name of the formatted file that the workflow needs to output to? Also, you can have Alteryx create copies of files within the workflow, you just need a Run Command tool or this other tool here that is much easier (link).

Ernest_I
5 - Atom

I think I found the solution that I was looking for in a very similar question:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Clearing-Data-in-Template-before-Overw...

But to your point: I'm not sure what you mean by " pull in the file name of the formatted file that the workflow needs to output to" 

Can you post an example of this?

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

If you need to output to a file with a specific file name, you just need to know that file name before, maybe using a Directory tool. 

Labels