Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Null() is not creating Null values

slckkrky
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone

I am trying to replace textual "Null Value" from all text files and using Multi Column Formula tool. Replace([_CurrentField_], "Null Value", null())

However results on new columns donot appear as an actual Null but appears as an empty cell.

When i use Null() function in a single Formula tool, it is working properly. Any idea how to solve this?

Thank you in advance

Capture Null.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@slckkrky to get the NULL value use the below formula

IIF(isEmpty(Replace([_CurrentField_],'Null Value',Null())),Null(),[_CurrentField_])

binuacs_0-1662460427431.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @slckkrky,

I think this might be a limitation of the Replace function. the function always return a string so when you pass NULL() as a second parameter it returns a reference to a string with nothing in it which is the same as an empty string record. 

This approach works though:

IF [_CurrentField_] = "Null Value" THEN null() ELSE [_CurrentField_] ENDIF

IraWatt_0-1662460479696.png

Any questions or issues please ask

Ira Watt
Technical Consultant
Watt@Bulien.com 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@slckkrky,

We cannot replace the data with NULL(), however there is another way of doing it though, you can replace the data by empty quotes and then use if to replace it with Null() 

IF IsEmpty(Replace([_CurrentField_], "Null Value","")) THEN null() ELSE [_CurrentField_] ENDIF

Sapna Gupta
slckkrky
8 - Asteroid

Both solution works. thanks, but i still dont understand why my formula didnot work.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@slckkrky no worries 😄 the formula did not work due to how Alteryx have implemented the Replace function. Arguably your formula should work but that's not how Alteryx wrote the replace function to work. 

Labels