Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Need to prompt for base month and comparison month associations

A1
メテオール

I am working with historic (base) and forecasting (comparison) files. Each file has an ID and field names associated with months (Jan, Feb, Mar, etc.) that contain activity count values. The months present in each file can be as few as one, but no more than 12 - so there is no year/date information, just month. Often the identical months will be compared (Jan, Feb, Mar to Jan, Feb, Mar); however, there will be times when the historic months considered are JUN, JUL, AUG (say in 2020), but the comparison months need to be FEB, MAR, APR (say in 2021). I need to prompt the user to select which months in the base file should line up with which months in the comparison file.

How can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance.

Base

IDJUNJULAUG
A1151515
A2252525
A351015

Comparison

IDFEBMARAPR
A1151525
A2202525
A351510

11件の返信11
AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@A1 , I believe you're going to find what you need watching these videos: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Creating%2...

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

A1
メテオール

André,

Thanks for the link. I've gone thru the tutorial a couple of times in the past and can get the prompting to choose the months to use on each of the two files. What I'm having trouble with, and perhaps didn't explain well enough, is marrying up an individual base month with a comparison month. 

For example:  Both data sets may have the same 4 month values (Sep - Dec), but I may want to use only 3 months from each one - say Sep thru Nov from base and Oct thru Dec from comparison - attached could do that.

However, after selecting the months for consideration from each file, I want to do be able to do is say that the first month to consider in the base is Sep and that is to be matched with Oct in the comparison; subsequently Oct in base to be paired with Nov in comparison, and finally Nov in base to Dec in comparison. I suspect being able to create an output similar to the following is where I need to go; but I'm struggling to find a way to do this via prompting of the user. Since each base-comparison can be different in terms of number of months (up to 12 months) and the month-matching will not always be the same, a static input table cannot be used.

IDBaseComparison
1SepOct
2OctNov
3NovDec

Andy

A1
メテオール

Appears I sent an early test where select tool fed by .yxdb files instead of crosstabs; and did not provide test input connections. Attached does so.

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@A1 ,

May I consider this format as the expected input format?

Base

ID JUN JUL AUG
A1 15 15 15
A2 25 25 25
A3 5 10 15

Comparison

ID FEB MAR APR
A1 15 15 25
A2 20 25 25
A3 5 15 10
André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

A1
メテオール

There are a lot more fields than just these; however, the input format for these fields and values are appropriate.

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@A1 

Would this format work for a prototype?

ID Other Fields FEB MAR APR
A1 X 15 15 25
A2 Y 20 25 25
A3 Z 5 15 10

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

A1
メテオール

Yes

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@A1 , see if this workflow helps you.

Since the content is dynamic, I've opted to build a Chained App. The theory about it is at https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

The other steps where basically to convert month strings into numbers and adjust the numbers in one of the sources.

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

A1
メテオール

Thanks - hope to be able to play with it before too long

ラベル