Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple rows 1 row

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I'm pretty new to Alteryx, so I apologize if this is easy and I'm just not figuring it out. 

I have a data set(sample attached) that has the company and all it's employees. Each row has 1 employee. Each company can have any number of employees. I'm trying to get it so that each row has only 1 company with all the EE info in that row.

I have this

Company OIDCompany CodeAssociate IDFirst NameLast NameTitleEmailAlternate email
222ABC1234JohnSmithHRBPJohn@gmail.com 
222ABC6789SallyRossReceptionistSally@gmail.comSally2@gmail.com
222ABC4444BobJonesAnalystBob@gmail.com 
222ABC5555StacyRoyalCEOStacy@gmail.com 
333DEF9999JTBlueAdvisorJT@gmail.comJT2@gmail.com
333DEF5555JoeGreenHRBP 2Joe@gmail.com 

I want it to look like this

Company OIDCompany CodeAssociate IDFirst NameLast NameTitleEmailAlternate emailAssociate IDFirst NameLast NameTitleEmailAlternate emailAssociate IDFirst NameLast NameTitleEmailAlternate email
222ABC1234JohnSmithHRBPJohn@gmail.com 6789SallyRossReceptionistSally@gmail.comSally2@gmail.com4444BobJonesAnalystBob@gmail.com 

I was trying to achieve this using the crosstab tool but, can't quite get it.

Thanks for any help!

1 REPLY 1
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @csh8428,

Alteryx will not allow you to have multiple fields with the same name, as field names are actually used as field identifiers (i.e. you can't have 2 'Email' fields, but you can have 'Email_1' and 'Email_2'.

The attached solution is not the most elegant one, but it gives you what you want and potentially explains how to use the Cross Tab tool. By the way have a look at the built in examples to learn how to use it (click on the Cross Tab tool from the top palette -> Open Example).

Macros would probably avoid the repetition of the cross tab and rename tools, but can I ask you why you want the data in that specific format?

I'm asking because potentially we could approach the problem from a different angle if I know more about your use case.

Giuseppe

Labels