Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-field formula tool to create cumulative monthly view?

Carluccio555
9 - Comet

I have some data with some field groupings and then month fields numbered 1-12 with double data type.

Is there a simple way (maybe multi-field formula) to output the data as cumulative (ie each month adds the previous month's data)? I sort of know how to pivot this and use a multi-row formula which has options for row-1 etc, but I'm assuming there's an easier way without having to pivot first?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Carluccio555
9 - Comet

Thanks for a screenshot not trying to create a row running total, im trying to do this with columns.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Transpose first, then use @binuacs ' suggestion to do a Running Total - group by the appropriate dimensions, then it will do a sum for you by the dimensions you grouped / ungrouped. Then use Cross Tab to pivot the data back.

This approach is best because it is dynamic and can ingest new fields coming in. Using a multi-field formula is also great, but you need to account for the new field in the expression - which isn't dynamic anymore. 

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels