Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi Row Formula - Subtract Date/Days Row 1 from Row 2, and so on.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am trying to use multi row formula with this logic: Subtract Date/Days Row 1 from Row 2, and so on.

wonka1234_1-1654109931401.png

wonka1234_0-1654109911480.png

I am getting an error here formula invalid type in subtraction operator.

6 REPLIES 6
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @wonka1234 ,

There are two things you need to consider to get this to work. First, is your date field formatted as a Date type? If not, it will treat the field as a string and won't know how to subtract. Second, you can use the DateTimeDiff() function to find the difference between two dates:

DateTimeDiff([PMT Date], [Row-1:PMT Date], 'days')

I have attached a workflow that both converts the field to a date format and then uses a multi-row tool with the DateTimeDiff function.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 Another way of doing this

binuacs_0-1654114412389.png

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Thanks for this! 

Do you know how to reverse getting null in first row? would like the null to be in last row.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 you need to adjust the formula in the Multi_Row tool

DateTimeDiff(DateTimeParse([Row+1:PMT Date String],'%m/%d/%Y'),DateTimeParse([PMT Date String],'%m/%d/%Y'),'days')

binuacs_0-1654114864152.png

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

As @binuacs pointed out, you just need to modify the formula slightly to use row +1 first: 

DateTimeDiff([Row+1:PMT Date], [PMT Date], 'days')

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 Thanks for accepting my solution,  you can also mark multiple solutions as accepted solution if they can solve your use case. I can see  @phottovy solution is just another way of doing the same.

Labels