Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Field Formula: tried to apply string operator to numeric value (Contain)

MostafaBouzari
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I want to change A/P column based on a condition.

my condition is 

IF ToNumber([Saldo])<0 && Contains(ToString([A / P Allocation]), 'Aktiv') THEN 'Passiv1'  ELSEIf   ToNumber([Saldo])>0 && Contains(ToString([A / P Allocation]), 'P&L' OR 'Passiv') THEN  
'Aktiv2'  
else
[A / P Allocation] ENDIF

Note that i have added ToNumber and ToString after that i got the Error but that didn't solved my problem.

But Multifield Tool is giving me a an error:

Multi-Field Formula (3)	Formula: tried to apply string operator to numeric value(Contains)

Which i can not understand what that means.

Also this is my data

AccountDateDescriptionSaldoU/AChart of AccountsHGB GKVA / P Allocation
75982018-12ttt-10unadjustedunalloctedxxxP&L
87642016-12uuu56.14unadjustedxxxxxxP&L
34672017-12zzz148.34unadjustedxxxxxxP&L
86312018-12xxx281.4unadjustedxxxxxxP&L
2112016-12eeee-3800unadjustedrrB.2.1Aktiv
223452017-12eeee-9450unadjustedrrB.2.1Aktiv
645672018-12eeee-9450unadjustedrrB.2.1Aktiv
4532016-12eeee28306unadjustedrrHPassiv

and i have Selected A/P Allocation in the configuration 

What am i missing?

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MostafaBouzari I don't think you need tostring around A/P, and you can't put an or inside contains. I think it would be:

IF ToNumber([Saldo])<0 && Contains([A / P Allocation], 'Aktiv') THEN 'Passiv1'  ELSEIf   ToNumber([Saldo])>0 && (Contains([A / P Allocation], 'P&L')  OR Contains([A / P Allocation],'Passiv')) THEN  
'Aktiv2'  
else
[A / P Allocation] ENDIF

As for Saldo, you only need the tonumber function if saldo is a string variable. You can click on the line between tools to confirm the data type. 

EDIT: perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any reason to use a multi-field formula for your formula. A normal formula tool should work fine. 

MostafaBouzari
8 - Asteroid

i still get the same error

alter.PNG

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @MostafaBouzari,

I wonder, why you are using a Multi-Field Formula. It seems, you want to assign a new value to the column 'A/P Allocation', so a Formula tool should do the job.

In additoon, the field [A / P Allocation] seems to be a string field, the formula could be:

IF ToNumber([Saldo]) < 0 AND Contains([A / P Allocation], 'Aktiv') THEN
'Passiv1'
ELSEIf ToNumber([Saldo])>0 AND (Contains([A / P Allocation], 'P&L' ) OR Contains([A / P Allocation], 'Passiv')) THEN
'Aktiv2'
ELSE
[A / P Allocation]
ENDIF

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Roland

Labels