Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Map Input Tool

bquinn
5 - Atom

Is there a way to use the Map Input Tool to import a jpg image (of territories) such that I could overlay the image onto the actual map and then hand draw the regions/territories and output those territories as "mappable?"  Know it is probably a long shot, but thought I would ask the question.  There is a registration process within MI Pro, but it is cumbersome.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @bquinn,

I don't think it is possible no.

To do it correctly you will need a GIS tool, georeference the image and then trace.

More crudely - Most GIS tools do let you insert a JPEG manually and then just resize it as needed and effectively trace over it. If you want your new layer to be correctly referenced you have to load an existing map with something you can align your jpeg to.

I take it the territories you are trying to replicate are specific to your organisation?

Regards,

Ben

bquinn
5 - Atom

Ben,

You are correct, the territories are specific to our organization.  I've tried to align the boundaries in MapInfo and have made some inroads, but it isn't perfect and the version of MI Pro that I'm using is very old, so doesn't always cooperate.  

I thought it was a long-shot to be able to do it in Alteryx, but I thought I would put it out there.  Thanks for the response.

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

@bquinn,

A long shot that might help -

Are your company territories built out of other pre-existing Geographies?

Sometimes businesses will take pre-existing administrative boundaries (e.g. counties) and combine them into regions.

Regards,

Ben

bquinn
5 - Atom

Unfortunately, they are not spatial boundaries of any pre-existing nature.... they were created by an Ad Agency (so not technicians!).  Previously, I used the Map Input tool to create the boundaries using the drawing feature to outline our actual store file with a region flag.  That was about seven years ago.  The "ownership" of the map has moved around a lot and I had lost "control" of the development of the map..... so why it is in a Ad Agencies hands now!  It's not an issue, I was just looking to see if there was a clever way in Altyerx to do it.... we'll redo it using the Map Input tool and just do it the right way!  Thanks for the assistance.

Labels