Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Loop to count when rows meet a certain criteria

willd9
7 - Meteor

I have a dataset that has an Event Name and an Event Date. What I want to do, is to be able to count how many Events are within the next 3 months by row. So here is an example of the data:

Event_NameEvent_Date
Event117/03/2021
Event605/04/2021
Event3506/04/2021
Event7809/02/2020

What I want is to loop through every record to see if any of the other Events are within the next 3 months, if they are, then it adds 1 to a count. The desired output would then look like this:

Event_NameEvent_DateUpcoming_Events
Event117/03/20212
Event605/04/20211
Event3506/04/20210
Event7809/02/20200

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @willd9 , this batch macro will do that for you. In short, it inputs the dates one by one, and for each one checks how many other dates are within 3 months. Hope it helps!

FinnCharlton_0-1683215026707.png

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

You would use a formula tool, create a new column "3 Out". Then use your DateTime functions, DatetimeToday gets whatever the current date is. Wrap DatetimeAdd around that : DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(), 3, "Months")

Then with Formula you create a column called "Count Events" and say: if Event Date > Datetime today() and < [3 Out] then "Count"

Else "Do Not" Endif. Then you use Summarize to Count  instances of "Count" in column "Count Events".

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @willd9 

This sounds like a use case for a macro (iterative qualifying three-month window?) or batch macro.

Still, I will offer the following:

1. an N-days window might be better than Months-window. For example, three months from the first of the month might differ from three months from the last for any given month. A N-days window might be more precise, e.g., 90 days from Today() date = "within the next 90 days."

2. below is a brute force step-through (but I'm uncertain if it will remain solid for a larger dataset)

I hope you find it helpful.

RobertOdera_0-1683220447657.png

willd9
7 - Meteor

When I've attempted to use the macro on my actual input file (970 rows), the macro outputs 5890 rows... I can't imagine this is right! Any ideas why it's doing this?

willd9
7 - Meteor

When I've attempted to use the macro on my actual input file (970 rows), the macro outputs 5890 rows... I can't imagine this is right! Any ideas why it's doing this?

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@willd9 do some of your events have the same name? If so, map the 'Event Name' field in the batch macro configuration to a unique identifier for each event.

Labels