Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Lengthy Excel cells input into Alteryx as [Null] ???

liv-pearsall
5 - Atom

Hello!

I have an issue with 3 particular cells in my Excel spreadsheet data - when I use the "input data" function to get all my data into Alteryx, everything shows up perfectly EXCEPT for those 3 cells which show up as [Null]. The three cells are also the 3 lengthiest and they have the exact same text in them. Here is what the string text is if it helps:

"Establish process to prevent proliferation of duplicate data sources;Leverage robust database with timely refresh as authorized data source;Apply data quality checks in upstream sources before provisioning to self-service users;Establish process to report data"

I am working with a Microsoft Excel 1997-2003 driver (*.xls). 

Do you have any ideas on how to get the full data to input into Alteryx regardless of length? And why is it showing up as [Null]?

Thanks in advance, 

Liv

3 REPLIES 3
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @liv-pearsall,

This is a known issue with .xls files with cells with a large number of characters.  Short answer:  it's a Microsoft issue.  Here is an Alteryx Community page with why this happens and solution suggestions.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/XLS-file-limitations-that-produce-N...

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @liv-pearsall 

I will offer that they may be coming in as Hidden rows.

Once you read in one of those Columns with nulls, could you try split to rows Or regex newline on one of those columns and see what happens?

Cheers!

Alt_eryx22
6 - Meteoroid

Is this also the case for .xlsx files? I'm having the same issue on some cells I'm trying to input. I have a whole table coming in with Null values.

Labels