Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Invalid CSV error while importing from Sharepoint

sau953
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have a workflow that imports multiple files from a Sharepoint site and then combines them together to output to a SQL database. I have never had any issues with the whole process but today I started getting an error saying the CSV files I am importing are not valid CSVs. 

I then went through the data and by hit and trial identified that if I remove all the comma from my data the CSV file is imported correctly from the Sharepoint.

Strange thing is this has never happened before and all the files are the same as before and all the data is also exactly the same. Nothing has changed apart from this error all of a sudden. 

Also, if I import the same CSV files using standard input tool, everything works fine. It seems like something has changed in the Sharepoint input tool so I tried going back a version but still got the same error. Attaching a two row CSV file I have been testing on. 

Please help!!!

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @sau953 

If nothing has changed in your workflow, or Alteryx version, then maybe something has changed in your data.   

Your sample data has a quoted field on line 2, "Cost, other" with a contained comma. 

danilang_1-1685376713250.png

Of course, you can only see this if you open the file in a text editor.  Excel automatically removes the quotes and shows just Cost, other 

When you initially set up the SharePoint Input tool, the Quote Character option is set to none. Change this to Double Quote.

danilang_3-1685376854601.png

Dan

sau953
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much Dan, this did the trick. 

The surprising bit is that I had a ton of such quoted fields in my data and had never tweaked the Quote Character option earlier but it worked. 

Labels