Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

In-DB Filter Dropping Null Values

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I came across something today using the In-DB tools that I had not seen before. I wrote the following logic in an In-DB filter for one of the text fields in my data set:

`TextField` NOT LIKE '%Test%' 

Before this filter, my dataset had about 197K rows. After the filter, I had 117K rows for TRUE and about 2K for FALSE. Somehow this filter managed to make 78K rows magically disappear.

Out of curiosity, I update my logic to this:

`TextField` = `TextField`

Now I had 119K rows for TRUE and 0 for FALSE.

I suspected it had to do with null values and I was able to verify that the field did have 78K rows with nulls.

I was able to pass all rows through the In-DB filter by using a case statement to account for nulls but I'm curious if this is expected using the In-DB filter tool. I assumed all rows would have to be either TRUE or FALSE but in this case, null rows just don't exist anymore.

I am using Simba Spark ODBC Driver to connect to Databricks. I have not tried this on any other In-DB connections yet.

0 REPLIES 0
Labels