Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

INPUT TOOL

KimBragg
5 - Atom

Hey everyone . I am trying to import a file then only get the most updated information based on a certain category. Then take that data and replace it with the more updated data. 

What tool should I use? I was thinking first an input tool>>> then a filter tool for the category >> then a summary tool for max date ?

3 REPLIES 3
Raj
15 - Aurora

@KimBragg 

To achieve your goal in Alteryx, you can indeed use a combination of tools to filter, summarize, and update your data with the most recent information based on a specific category. Here is a step-by-step approach:

Input Data Tool: This will be your starting point to import the data file into Alteryx.

Filter Tool: Use this tool to filter the data based on the specific category you are interested in.

Sort Tool: Sort the data by the category and date, ensuring that you have the most recent dates at the top for each category.

Unique Tool: This tool will help you to keep only the first occurrence of each category, which should be the most recent one due to the previous sorting step.

Join Tool: To update the data with the more recent information, you will use this tool to combine the original data with the filtered, most recent data. You can set up the join to replace the old data with the new data based on the category.

Raj
15 - Aurora

@KimBragg if you want the flow to refer please add some sample input and expected output will help with the flow.

Raj
15 - Aurora

@KimBragg 
any updates on this

is this solved
if yes please mark as done and if not please let us know the challenges.

Regards,

Raj

Labels