Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to view data from Alteryx DB Input

Nameless_One
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

I've never used an "Alteryx Database" as an input file. I'm trying to use it the same way I'd use an excel/csv file as an input file. However, Alteryx doesn't seem to be able to recognize the data (which is crazy to me)? I'm clearly doing something wrong. 

I'm trying to filter a large dataset / spreadsheet (in Alteryx DB format), and find a specific unique identifier (and Asset ID in a huge dataset of fixed assets).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

7 REPLIES 7
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@Nameless_One 

You already run workflow

it is cached where to run

select clear cache

geraldo_0-1685714556550.png

Nameless_One
6 - Meteoroid

Right. But how come I don't see anything come through in the "Preview Pane?" Is that just how it works when you use an Alteryx DB as the input file?

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@Nameless_One 

you sent the print of the select output.

if there is data in the select input, it will show your data in the result.
apparently your base is empty

Nameless_One
6 - Meteoroid

The base database is not empty. It contains over 1.2B rows of data (I've opened it separately). So that's not the answer.

Thanks though. 

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @Nameless_One,

When Alteryx Designer executes a .yxdb it is only different to other input types in the Input step - once that is run all tools function the same way. -> Your problem is independend of the .yxdb-filetype. 

To me it looks like the cache wasn't written corretly and there was an error creating this. Can you redo this step and check again? 

If this doesn't work, can you open the file and check that it is not empty? 

(You can do this from the Results pane by clicking on the link)

FrederikE_0-1685715346178.png

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@Nameless_One 

Example:

geraldo_0-1685715389522.png

Nameless_One
6 - Meteoroid

My on-site Alteryx expert helped me. I think the issue is that my machine doesn't have enough ram to utilize the viewing pane feature with this database. 

The "Browse" tool is the only one that seems to work to see actual data prior to exporting it. 

Thanks everyone for your fast responses! 

Labels