Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to really help others with their posts

OTrieger
11 - Bolide

Hello community,

"If one is educated in a subject, then he knows the subject.... exclamation point,  he knows the subject! He's is able to accomplish the actions which are taught in that subject. He's is able to accomplish the results which are taught in that subject."

If someone cannot do something you will always find out that there is something that he or she does not fully understand in that area. Therefore a proper way to help is to assist the person identify what he or she missed or did not fully understand, that is the only thing that will restore someone ability to do or act in that area. 

By providing a WF that you created does not really solve the problem, yes you can do it however the other person not and his inability to operate in that area will remain as is. Yes, he might be able to copy and paste you solution, but the fact that he or she does not fully understand will not be solved, and that is the key for his ability to do.

If you really want to help someone, try to understand what he did wrong as that will lead you to what he or she does not understand, and then you could help him.

Remember why you are helping that person!!! Definitely not to do his work, but helping him understand the problem so he can solve it. Unfortunately there are no grey areas here, it is purely all about if the person knows the subject or not. And Alteryx provided so many training materials where the knowledge can be acquired.

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Disagree here:  Unfortunately there are no grey areas here, it is purely all about if the person knows the subject or not.

Even subject matter experts can learn from others.  Does anyone truly "know" a complicated subject or advanced software?  Is there ever nothing else to learn?

Experienced people here do want to help.  I'm willing to help anyone who has first tried on their own, and who has completed Learn > Academy > Learning Paths and Interactive Lessons.

I skip over questions where:

• the user can't clearly specify the end result they want.  Sometimes we can "imagine" what they likely want, but many times not.
  • the user posts an image of input data.  I'm not re-typing the data.  Post an Excel file, a text file, paste into the question text, but no image
  • the user isn't able to list at least a few things they've tried to solve the problem.  But I understand sometimes you just don't know where to start.  Just mention that.
  • the user writes "it doesn't work", with no additional useful information
  • the user seems to have taken about 2 seconds to type their question.  We spend significant time on replies.  All we ask is:  questions are easy to understand, with input data.  I won't ask questions about your question.

Help us help you.  There is an "art" to asking questions.  Take time to ask great questions.  You'll get great replies.  

To bring peace to the Community and to the Universe, I propose the attached:  Best Practices to ask a question on the Alteryx Community

Chris

OTrieger
11 - Bolide

@ChrisTX 

I agree on that, the fact that you are educated on a specific area does not means that you cannot learn more. Actually the only thing that will stop a person progress or learn new things is having the state of mind that he knows all about it. 

The second point that you raised that the person actually tried by himself, there are some posts that i have doubt if the person actually tried and did any effort to solve the issue, as find it as an easy way to get the solution just post it here.

Indeed, help us help you.

However when it comes to the ability to apply things it is black and white here, not exceptions. As long as there is something that the person do not fully understand he will not be able to get the results, no grey areas here. Doingness is based on knowledge. And knowledge is based on full understanding of what you learn. As tough as it might sound, that is how it works.

Labels