Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to join back my Summarised data?

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

Sadly I am unable to share data, but I hope my example gives enough detail.

I have the following data:

• 24000 different customers, each with an exact Lat/Long. I have given each of these a unique recordID and create at Spatial Point for each
  • 2280 different stores, each with an exact Lat/Long and I have created a spatial point for each.

I have then appended the Customer with the stores and been able to fine the distance for each customer to the nearest stores (Using same logic as https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Distance-between-two-sets-of-Lat-Longs...) This gives me some 50.8M combos!. The data looks something like this:

Record ID (Customer)Store IDDistance in Mile

What I need to do is somehow get the shortest distance and Store ID for each customer (Record ID). I have tried using the summarise tool to find the shortest distance for each customer (Summarised as group by Record ID, min(Distance)) which worked, but I don't know how to link that back to the customer and keep the store ID?

I have tried matching joining by Record ID and distance in mileage to the summarised minimum distance in mileage but it failed to correct match

Any ideas? Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Bobbins ,

If I understood correctly I think you can, instead of summarizing, sort your data by Customer ID then Distance ascending and use a sample tool to keep 1st line for each Customer ID.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bobbins 

Can you provide more sample data with at least 2-3 rows for each storeID. We can look into it 🙂

What @Jean-Balteryx suggested should work. Summarize should also work. 

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jean,

Okay, thats a different way, I can understand the sort part, but how do i use the sample tool to keep the 1st line? Change N = number of stores if i am correct?

Thanks

Bob

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bobbins 

Just a thought since this is spatial why not diretly use Find nearest tool. Find the nearest store for each customer.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Identifying-Nearest-Objects/ta-p/154106

This should save you appending and finding the nearest. Which is computation heavy.

Number of rows will also be less in find nearest.

Hope this helps : )

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Use the option "First N Rows", set N = 1 and tick your Customer ID field in the "Group by column (optional)" section.

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I wanted to say that though I used Jean-Balteryx ideas, I went back and looked at the solution provided by atcodedog05 which just blew my mind, my old way was taking about 5 minutes, that way took 2.6 seconds.

Thanks all

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

His solution is way more efficient ! 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bobbins 

Yes, in this scenario find nearest would be the best way to do it 🙂

Happy to help : )

Cheers and have a nice day!