Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to add new sheet dynamically to multiple files in a directory

jsilavong
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I am looking to create a workflow that allows the user to use a interface tool which passes through a sheet name to multiple files on the shared. I am able to create the interface tool part but having a hard time figuring out the best tool to use to create a new sheet on all the files in a folder. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Are you adding the same data/sheet to every file as well?

Using the output of a directory tool and appending the full path with sheet name appended to it to use in your output tool should work.

You could also come up with a batch macro that passes the full path of every file in the target directory and the new sheet name to it and outputs that way.

The batch macro is probably your best bet since joins or appends can get nasty depending on the number of files and rows of data involved.

jsilavong
8 - Asteroid

Yes i am adding the same sheet and sheet name to all the files.

jsilavong
8 - Asteroid

Yes i am adding the same sheet and sheet name to all the files.

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

I mocked up a test using a batch macro. See if this is what you are looking for and you may be able to integrate it into your flow. The workflow and a few files to test with are attached.

SPetrie_0-1684787745759.pngSPetrie_1-1684787758918.png

jsilavong
8 - Asteroid

Thank you ! This is exactly what im looking for.

Labels