Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grouping to be sent in email question

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

All,

I have a question and hoping to get guidance using Alteryx.

Say I have a table such as the following:

f1     f2

---    -------

1      test1

1      test2

2      test3

3      test4

3      test5

I need to send 3 emails such that

email 1 shows rows 1,2 (group 1) in a table

email 2 shows row 3 (group 2) in a table

email 3 shows rows 4,5 (group 3) in a table

I'm not sure how to group into a table to send in an email.  I've probably been pondering this too long.  Now I need to reach out to get fresh ideas how to accomplish.

Any ideas how to accomplish with Alteryx? (I'm on 2021.4 if it matters)

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

10 REPLIES 10
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @jeffv, when making the table, you can select fields to 'Group By' in the top configuration. In your case this would be F1:

DataNath_0-1667484261523.png

Which gives the following output:

DataNath_1-1667484272673.png

With you mentioning email, do you need assistance with setting this up, or was it just getting the table to then feed in?

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @jeffv 

Are you meaning something like this? Summerise tool; Group by f1 and concatenate f2

DavidSkaife_0-1667484282412.png

Edit: interpreted this question wrong by the looks of it, not had enough coffee!

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @jeffv 

You will want to use the "Group By" option available at the top the Table tool located in the reporting pallet and group by your F1 field. 

You can then select to bring the "Table" field into the body of the Email tool using the drop down below:

gautiergodard_0-1667484784494.png

Hope this helps!

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for reply @DataNath,

If I may, a further question.  How would I mail a particular group in an email?

I have figured out how to email row by row but how do I mail a group?

Thanks!

Jeff

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply @DavidSkaife!

I understand what you are saying how to group but am stumbling on mailing a group in an email.  Ideas?

Jeff

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @jeffv, no problem!

To email a group of users, you'll want to create a list of their email addresses, separated by a semi-colon like so (pretending F2 are email addresses):

DataNath_4-1667485063095.png

I'd then just join it back to the group so that you have the table and email addresses etc alongside one another:

DataNath_1-1667484933532.png

In the 'To' configuration of the Email tool, you'd then reference this semi-colon separated list you've just created:

DataNath_2-1667484965653.png

Updated flow attached - please let us know if you have further questions!

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply @gautiergodard!

Interesting... so once I group by a field I can use that field to list that grouping in an email....  I will try that and see how it works.

Thanks,

Jeff

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

@jeffv 

Yes, that's correct! The email tool sends one email per record that is passed into the tool.

Therefore, in this example you would have 3 records and thus generate 3 separate emails.

Please don't forget to accept the solution post if it solves your question. 

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DataNath,

The workflow is very insightful!  Let me play with it to see if I can apply it to my workflow to get it to work.   Great insight!

Jeff

Labels