Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grouped RecordID

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all,

I see a lot of people have been requesting this so I thought I'd post this here.

I built a grouped RecordID tool that allows you to create a record ID that uses one or more fields as grouping:

mceleavey_0-1621518051553.png

Say you have data like this:

mceleavey_1-1621518130491.png

and you want to create a RecordID field, but rather than just counting from 1 to 5, you want to group it by the District field, and reset the count at each change in this field, then you can now use this tool to do exactly that:

mceleavey_2-1621518212423.png

mceleavey_3-1621518232748.png

Nice and simple but a useful bit of functionality methinks.

Thanks to the handsome and talented @joshuaburkhow for making it look pretty and helping out with some of the testing.

Enjoy.

M.

Bulien

6 REPLIES 6
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@mceleavey 

I agree, I see a need for this all the time here on the community! In the past, I used @MarqueeCrew's CReW macro but it looks like he has some competition now!

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/CReW%2BGroupByRecordID/5e417bbf0462d70decb763a9  

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This would be really helpful 🙂 thank you @mceleavey  and @joshuaburkhow

@joshuaburkhow and @cgoodman3 your today's inspire session on Design Patterns was really amazing and helpful 🙂

Luke_C
17 - Castor

This is awesome and a great alternative to the tile tool. I always get confused with all the different settings while configuring it to do something like this.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Luke_C 

Tile tool has a drawback it will always sort the data ascending by unique column 😶 i usually get stuck because of this and end up using multi-row formula to generate group id.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@mceleavey 
Thank you for this help handy one.
ACE ideas digest of @SeanAdams guided me here. 😁

srea541
8 - Asteroid

This solution is fantastic - Thank you for sharing!

Labels