Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group identical data in columns like an Excel Pivot table

kunalhdoshi
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a table which has identical data in some fields for a bunch of records. I am currently grouping on these fields, but these fields are repeated for each record.

In Excel, when I create a Pivot Table using the following data:

NameDeptProductPrice
JohnSalesA500
JohnSalesB750
JohnSalesC1000
JohnSalesD1250
JohnSalesE1500
JohnSalesF1750
MattSalesA500
MattSalesG2000

I can make it look like this using a Pivot Table:

Capture.JPG

Is there a way to show such a piece of data in the above form using Alteryx?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kunalhdoshi Perhaps @pcatterson's crosstab solution to this similar problem will work? 

kunalhdoshi
5 - Atom

This comes pretty close to what I am looking for. It takes every column separately and in my example it still retains the Dept name 'Sales' even though it is the same as the set of records above it.

The workflow you mentioned will remove the Sales for the second set of records as it is the same for the set above it. Every new set of records which should be treated hierarchically from left to right and if a new value shows up to the left, then all the subsequent columns should show their values again even though they are identical to the set of records above it.

This is what it looks like with the workflow you mentioned:

Capture.JPG

I wish it showed the Sales again for the value Matt.

Thanks for your reply, it helped me to a certain extent.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kunalhdoshi Nothing really slick was coming to mind, so I'm just manually adding another If statement on the Dept and Product columns to check if the columns to the left (which I'm just manually providing those columns) are null.

Labels