Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Google Drive Output Tools

Hayden_McHan
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow where I need to output 7 tabs to a singular excel file using the drive output tool. The File and Tab are both fields within the data however I cannot get the tool to output all of the tabs to 1 file. It does FileName, FileName (1), FileName (2), etc. I tried unioning the data into 1 set and letting the tool split it into the tabs, which worked for getting the 7 tabs in 1 file but then each tab has a bunch of blank columns bc each tab is different.

Anyone know how to output 7 tabs to a single file in a better way? I would post the workflow but creds for drive wouldn't save and the input is a DWH query. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

@Hayden_McHan could you not just use several Google Sheets Output tools? Use the first one to 'Create New Spreadsheet' and then for the other 6 'Add Sheet to Existing Spreadsheet'? If the spreadsheet already exists and it's just a case of updating it then of course you could just use the overwrite options.

DataNath_0-1656517924336.png

Hayden_McHan
7 - Meteor

So it is the Drive Output Tool... Not the Google Sheets one.It has to be an excel file that is saved to a Google Drive Folder. And we need to use the drive tools so that the workflow can get posted to server and write the files to the correct location without having to download the files and drop them in the correct spot.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Ah I see, apologies! Could you not use the same approach with the Google Drive Outputs? Just use one for each stream instead of unioining them together. If the filepath for the output of each is the same, with only the sheet name changing at the end, then this should naturally split the data as needed.

Hayden_McHan
7 - Meteor

No worries! That is what I had initially done, but when I do that it makes multiple files even though I have the tab names set up to be different. It creates File, File (1), File (2), etc.... It doesn't make any sense. I've tried the overwrite and append for what it should do if the file name already exists. Each output writes in order using blocks so its not like it is getting tripped up on itself.

Labels