Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find city name in file, return state name. Using two files

lbolin
8 - Asteroid

I have a list of Citys with not state. I am needing to use the external file provided to find the city and populate the state. I have tried using Find and Replace but is didn't work. 

City

State
MILWAUKEE 
KENT 
LAKE FOREST 
NEW BERLIN 
SEATTLE 
OAK CREEK 
SHOREWOOD 
WATERTOWN 
WESTBEND 

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

How do you plan on dealing with scenarios where the same city name exists in multiple states?

lbolin
8 - Asteroid

I would say leave it blank. I am not looking for 100% coverage but any I can get is a plus. 

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Did you use "Case insensitive find" with your find/replace?

Another thing to consider is that find/replace will only update with the last found value, so even if a city matches multiple entries, it will only output the last match. Join would show you all the matches, you just need to convert the state/zip file to caps first.

SPetrie_0-1676322484366.png

Also, you have Westbend in your sample set, but in the file its two words, so it would not match either.

lbolin
8 - Asteroid

What did you use to join on??

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

The City column from your sample list of 9 city names, and the city column of the .csv you provided. Before joining, I used trim and uppercase to match to the uppercase names from your list.

SPetrie_0-1676325008480.png

SPetrie_1-1676325049414.png

Labels