Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Failure when receiving data from the peer

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

I get random issue with the email tool when it comes into trouble with a bad email.  We process in rows in a batch format, which generally works fine but whenever it hits an email that it doesn't like for some reason, it kills the tool.  For instance, I am sending 2430 emails but record 518 has the issue.  The email tool errors and the workflow ends.  Everyone after row 518 doesn't get the email.  

Does anyone know of a creative way to bypass emails that do not work?  We have some audit checks in place and they are all checked against AD before this but for some reason or another one in the mix causes the issue.  Thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Do you know what causes the bad email?  Is it a bad address?  Something else?

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

Yes, that is usually the case.  We match against active directory just prior to that but for some reason, we will hit one and the workflow just stops and errors out.  I was hoping that maybe someone has found a way to bypass a bad email and simply report which ones didn't send vs just stopping the tool.  Since this list of emails is constantly changing, its hard to nail down or exclude something specific.  For instance, last night over 2400 emails were sent but one model errored out somewhere after 297 emails and the rest of that batch were not sent.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

What's the exact error message you get ?

It sounds like it could be a couple of things.

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

So its a bit fickle, which may lead to us figuring this out.  The error itself is "Failure to receive data from the peer" but always prefaced with Error - Toolid XX: (Record Number: XX).  The tool id obviously is different in the different workflows, but its the record number where I am able to solve the issue, at least in short order.  So if record 512 is the error, I filter off that email address and the rest works.  But get this.  I did that for an email for two weeks and then let it back in on the third week, with no changes whatsoever, and it worked.  When looking at the emails where the error pops, they always look fine and match AD perfectly.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Okay, that's a much different issue than I was thinking.  There's nothing wrong with your data.

"Failure to receive data from the peer" usually means a problem in the AD server or the smtp gateway.  When Alteryx reached out to the server to send it data, there was no response/acknowledgement from the server.

It could have been that the server was so busy from the prior messages plus other clients that your message got queued and not processed until after Alteryx was done waiting for it, or there could be a rate limiter on the gateway to prevent an email flood.

Either way, I'd start by trying a throttle tool before the email tool.  You might try figuring out what the average # emails/minute was on past runs and then setting the throttle at 10% lower and see how that goes.

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

Interesting.  I see what you mean, I will give that a shot in the next week and let you know.

fharper
12 - Quasar

@Jesse_Bernard I am seeing the same issue and it would be nice to know if @patrick_mcauliffe was correct...mark it as a solution maybe so others like me will know

latimo1
7 - Meteor

I am getting this error today:

Error: Salesforce Output (42): Tool #29: Error transferring data: Failure when receiving data from the peer for https://meta-hvac.my.salesforce.com//services/async/42.0/job/7503q00000aMmcCAAS/batch

I am trying to delete 3 records.

Turned off the AMP engine.

Renewed my IP

Tool 29 is in a disabled tool container.

Error text:

<exceptionCode>InvalidSessionId</exceptionCode>
<exceptionMessage>Unable to find session id</exceptionMessage>
</error>
Labels