Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error when I switch on "Output File Name as Field" while reading Excel file

aliensurfer
7 - Meteor

I have an excel file with numerous sheets in them. I was successfully able to read the first three sheets. For the fourth sheet, every time I switch on the "Output File Name as Field" option to anything other than No, the workflow keeps running endlessly and I see this error "Internal Error in RecordReader::ReadFields: Too many fields". The moment I switch this option off, the workflow completes running. The first three sheets work fine with this option turned on.

Would anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks,

PR

7 REPLIES 7
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @aliensurfer 

If you can, please upload your excel file to reproduce the problem, before you can strip sensitive information and data content.

BTW, what version are you using now ?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Without seeing your file - this sounds like a weird glitch. Can you confirm that your filename does not have any insanely weird characters in it? By any chance are you running in a VM environment?

aliensurfer
7 - Meteor

Hi @flying008 - I am using  version 2022.1.1.30961. Unfortunatley if I try stripping off confidential data to send this to you, I would have to erase almost all of the data from the file and that would not be helpful

If it helps, I have 4 years' worth of data in 4 separate files (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023) and all these files are same in structure. I was able to successfully read 2020 and 2021 files, but I'm seeing this issue for the 2022 file.

Hi @apathetichell, I am not running this in a VM. I am running Alteryx locally on my laptop. The filename doesn't have any weird characters in it.

As I mentioned in my original post, I see this error only if I set the "Output File Name as Field" option to "File Name Only" or "Full Path". At the moment, I am trying to make the workflow work for one file instead of having wildcard characters in the input field.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Do you have AMP on (check runtime/configuration pain). Can you uncheck it?

aliensurfer
7 - Meteor

Yes, AMP was on for all new workflows. Switching it off does not make any difference. (I switched it off, restarted the Alteryx IDE, and tried running my workflow).

What is puzzling is that the moment I turn off "Output File Name as Field", my workflow runs.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

This is honestly one of the weirdest glitches I've seen... My expectation is that if you downgraded to 2021.4 you wouldn't see this issue.

aliensurfer
7 - Meteor

I did think about downgrading to a lower version, but the 2020 and 2021 workflows work perfectly fine. Had it been an Alteryx version issue, all my workflows should have failed.

I believe the error has something to do with the 2022 input Excel file, but I am unable to pinpoint what it is.

Edit: I installed Version: 2021.4.2.40860 and tried my workflow there. Same error. I feel it's the file.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels