Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error opening table: Microsoft Access Database Engine (happens with xls 97-2003 only)

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Dynamic Input (12) Error opening table: Microsoft Access Database Engine: The Microsoft Access database engine could not find the object Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly. 

How do I fix this? Do I need some sort of driver I'm potentially missing (link please)?  Workflow works fine if I'm using xlsx files.

The weird thing is I can open .xls (97-2003) files too, if I'm just selecting 1 file using the input tool. The error I described above happens only if I'm trying to import multiple excels that are 97-2003 format (formula tool to change entire file path is configured correctly, I validated this because I run the exact same setup with .xlsx files and it works)

8 REPLIES 8
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Do you have the Access Driver installed yet? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

AkisM
10 - Fireball

@BrandonB Yes, I already have the 32x version of that driver installed. Tried installing the 64x one too for good measure but it's not possible without uninstalling all 32x microsoft products yet. I don't think it should matter though since i already have the 32 bit one.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you tried the macro approach rather than a Dynamic Input? http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/ta-p/20480

AkisM
10 - Fireball

@BrandonB Yes, in fact the batch macro approach is the first one I tried as that's my ideal solution. I just also tried it with the dynamic tool to rule out the issue being something macro related. Same error occurs with both methods.

AkisM
10 - Fireball

@BrandonB Looks like I may have been missing something because I tried a few more times and eventually it worked. What I ended up using as full path had the sheet name in this format: "|||'Sheet1$'"

Whereas for xlsx it worked with other formats too. But using the above format worked with both xlsx and xls. Thanks for your help anyway.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I'm glad its working now! Sometimes there can be a sneaky configuration option that slips past. One way to always check if the file path syntax is correct is by opening that file and that sheet in a regular Input Data tool. You will see the file path with sheet name listed out in the configuration window which you can then model a formula off of. 

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Exactly the same issue and the same solution. Just adding $ fixed the problem.

maheshbansal05
5 - Atom

@ AkisM, Could you provide workflow, Actually I tried lots of option but not solved yet

Labels