Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Sorting of Multiple Fields

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

Hi all, 

I need to sort the Given Input Data for the "Nos of exceptions" all the fields. So basically the April Months Data shall come up first with no null rows in it. Then The May and June month Data will get appended and so on for all months ( As Provided in the Desired Output Data). As of now the data for all months comes up in a random order but I need to sort the order

Also If the Same Names or EMP ID comes for Multiple months only then then only it will be in the same row for all those months ( As shown in the Desired Output Data ( Check row 1, 11 and 12). 

27 REPLIES 27
jdminton
12 - Quasar

@DataPirate26 ! The desired output seems to contain different data from the input, but I think this is what you're looking for. Let me know.

Snag_58daba1.png

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton The Output Looks Completely fine except for I missed out on 1 thing that is I need the "Actual Count" and  "Flag" Field as well in the Output. When I am keeping those field in the Summarize tool the desired output changes , and for the same names the values doesn't comes in the same rows. Can you please blend the data and update the workflow ? Also I need to take care of these months dynamically. As of now I have data for only these 3 months but this Won't be the same the months need to be populated dynamically. Will the Sort tool at last be able to handle that as When data will come for more months those fields won't be there in the sort right

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@binuacs do you have a solution for this ? Any help will be appreciated. 

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@DataPirate26 as @jdminton mentioned the expected output is not matching with the input file you provided. Can you update your output file based on your input file?

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@binuacs Please see the below attached excel file for more clarity. The desired output shall look exactly as shown below. I don't want the Actual Count and Flag field in the Final output, but they need to be used in the reporting tool for providing the color legends as mentioned in the excel file. Let me know if you can help to get the desired output with the color legends

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@binuacs Let me know if you have any solution on this. 

jdminton
12 - Quasar

@DataPirate26 Your request is quite complex. I would suggest using this workflow and conditional formatting in Excel for the cell color. I tried coloring the cells in Alteryx, but to do this dynamically, I'm running into the issue that I cannot crosstab after. I'm not certain that all of it can be done in Alteryx.

This layout will provide the cell color in a dynamic column at the end. The column can be used to conditionally format the amount column. Let me know how this works for you.

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton Thanx for your response. This would need to again have a manual intervention which I don't want. I developed a solution earlier which has the data and the colors coming but i was not able to sort the data in the required order which needs to be done. Also once I removed the Flag and the Actual Count field from the table tool as the column names are coming up dynamically so this was also throwing error. Thank you for your help though this was also a great appraoch

jdminton
12 - Quasar

I actually had another idea, and it works! We might need to play with it to adjust, but this provides the cell formatting for the different values by month. It is also dynamic and will add new fields as they come and apply the logic for the formatting. Once you've confirmed this works with your data, we can add the layout and render tools. After you connect to your data, please share a workflow with some data if you are having any issues.

Labels