Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Duplicating one workflow for multiple sheets of the same format then to be merged

ffraizzoli
5 - Atom

Hi everyone,

I have multiple sheets with the same construction in an excel file, but they are too many to input them one by one.

I need to manipulate them each separately with a workflow and then merge the manipulated version of each sheet.

I tried with the list of sheets and then the dynamic input but it stacks the sheets, while I need them independently manipulated and only then stacked.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It sounds like you will want to bring in each sheet as its own Input Data tool and then stack them together by connecting each to a Union tool afterwards given the need to manipulate each file prior to stacking. 

Union.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t...

This is a helpful post that goes over different ways to pull data into a workflow. There are ways to use macros to do multiple sheets at one time, but this only applies when the manipulation for those specific sheets is the same. 

ffraizzoli
5 - Atom

Hi Brandon,

Yes this is the concept, but I have many sheets (about 80) and whose name can vary, so I don't really want to enter them one by one.

However, I have never made a macro so I was wondering if there was any easier solution, which was still more efficient than having 80 input tools.

Thank you. 

Fulvia

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Using an input data tool you can pull in “List of Sheet Names” which can pull the sheet name for every sheet in a file. This can then be turned into a macro which reads in each one of these sheets for an entire directory. 

Someone has built a macro that accomplishes this which I will track down for you

Labels