Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Duplicating lines of data based on a count value in that entry

Jack_Nelson
7 - Meteor

I'm attempting to parse data based on a count variable on each line for machine cycle times. In this situation, one data entry doesn't necessarily attribute to one cycle. Rather, a data entry can contain anywhere from about 1 to 4 cycles where the time between datestamps is averaged out over the number of cycles that entry contained. I would like each cycle to be its own line with a cycle time value so I can create an accurate time series plot to analyze trends. Would there be a way to loop each entry to create another under it until n-1 = gap?

-----EXAMPLE DATA-----
Datestamp                   CycleTime   Gap
1/9/2017 2:00:13 PM   5.2               2
1/9/2017 2:00:29 PM   5.0               0
1/9/2017 2:00:34 PM   5.4               1

-----DESIRED OUTPUT-----
Datestamp                   CycleTime
1/9/2017 2:00:13 PM   5.2               

1/9/2017 2:00:29 PM   5.0               
1/9/2017 2:00:34 PM   5.4               

1/9/2017 2:00:34 PM   5.4               

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Check it the generate rows tool. It will be your Alteryx magic. I'm boarding a flight now. I'll check to make sure that you get this figured out.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Jack_Nelson Attached is what @MarqueeCrew is suggesting. Let me know if you have any questions! Here is how the Generate Rows Tool would be setup: 

Capture.PNG

The help file for the Generate Rows has several good examples.

Jack_Nelson
7 - Meteor

@patrick_digan & @MarqueeCrew

Alteryx magic indeed!! Thanks for the help.  I'm still somewhat of a novice and learning all the tools, surprised I didn't stumble upon this one!

Labels