Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Disabled options for Summarize tool

Saurabh_ghumare
5 - Atom

I am trying the challenges and faced issue for the Summarize tool options. 

The option of 'Sum' is disabled as well as few other options seem to be disabled. 

Not sure if this is because of data/current Alteryx version.

Attached screenshot for reference.

6 REPLIES 6
aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@Saurabh_ghumare that's because kilometers are in string format, you need to convert it to a number format e.g. double with the select tool first then use the summarise tool. Hope this helps

Saurabh_ghumare
5 - Atom

@aatalai : thanks for suggestion 

I checked and it is in number format. 

To be specific I am trying to work on Challenge #222: Where There's a Whale There's a Way. 

I referred to the solution after lot of tries and found that options are disabled. 

I ran the solution file from site and it works fine. 

Surprisingly , if I copy and past the Summarize from Solution file to my current file, it works fine. 

But, It does not enable the option for me if i drag new summarize tool and try to select the Sum option.

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

did you use select to change it from string to double before the summarise tool?

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Saurabh_ghumareI agree with @aatalai. This is caused by data types, it might appear as though your number is numeric but the data type determines how the value is stored. Currently it's stored as a v_string which is non-numeric and therefore you will not be able to perform any numeric operations (such as summing) on the column. You'll need to use a select tool before the summarise to change the data type to a float or double.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Saurabh_ghumare
5 - Atom

Agreed. It was miss from my side on the data type. 

I did data type change in the Join tool before using summarize tool. 

This has solved the problem. 

Thanks 

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@Saurabh_ghumare Is it possible to have one of my posts being marked as a solution?

Labels