Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Designer | File Browse: avoid user to choose the sheet

alejandra_imaz
5 - Atom

Hi,

Using File Browse: is it possible to avoid the user from choosing the sheets from the input Excel file? 

More in detail:

I have an Excel file (which contains 3 sheets) as input. I use the 3 sheets as different inputs in my workflow. I don't want the user entering the same file three times and explaining to them in which order they should select the sheets.

Is there a way to allow them to select the file just once? Once the file is selected by the user, is it possible to specify in the workflow which sheet goes where in my workflow? The sheets are always going to be the same so I don't want the user to choose them.

Thank you very much in advance for the help 🙂

Edit: I need to run the app through Gallery so it needs to work not only in local but on the web too 

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alejandra_imaz ,

I don't have enough information here, but I've attached a macro which reads in all sheet names within a file. You can then append the sheet name to the fullpath of the file and it will load them in and union together into one output.

I've attached the example of this also.

If you don't want them unioned together, you simply filter out the stream into sheet name and use the cleanse tool to drop the null columns.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @alejandra_imaz 

I believe you cannot restrict the users from seeing the tabs available in a file, as this is native to the tool itself.

One way that may work is to use the folder browse interface tool to output the list of files in a selected folder, then use a chained up that has a dropbox that takes in the output from the file names.

When you concatenate the path and the filename selections, then that can be used to update the input tool that pulls data out for your process.

This way, there is no visibility to the tabs contained in excel source. But must make sure that all the tabs are identical.

Cheers.
Dawn.

alejandra_imaz
5 - Atom

Hi @mceleavey

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I really appreciate it.

Could you please send the example without packaging it? I am forced to use an older version of Alteryx and it wouldn't let me open it.

Also, would this macro work if I run the app through Gallery? Or does it only work in local?

Thanks again for the help!

Alejandra

Labels