Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Convert fields from String to INT or Fixed Decimal

Kristy119
5 - Atom

I have data that has numbers stored as text.  Some numbers need to be stored as a whole number (191); some numbers need to be stored as a fixed decimal (1.9548).

I tried to use the Multi-Field Formula, but for some reason, it is not taking the "ToNumber" expression.

I selected the 2 fields that need to be converted from "Text" to Int32, using the expression ToNumber([_CurrentField_]), but the output still shows the data fields as strings.  

I have not attempted using the Multi-Field Formula on fields that need to be converted from text to Fixed Decimal because I want to get the conversion to Int32 working first.

What am I missing in my Expression?

Thank you,

Kristy

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Kristy119 

Please share the configuration of your multifield tool. By default it will create new columns off to the right that you may not be seeing. To keep the data in your original fields, you need to uncheck the copy fields box and check the box to change the datatype. 

Luke_C_1-1643221294370.png

Kristy119
5 - Atom

Kristy119_0-1643221447115.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Thanks @Kristy119 

Any conversion errors? I just tried this and it seems to be working fine. Maybe you can share a simplified version of your workflow with sample data?

Kristy119
5 - Atom

I think I figured it out.  I didn't connect the one tool back into the data stream... it's working now.

At any rate, I got some practice using the multi-field tool.

Kristy

Labels