Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Character limit in email output

Dittau
8 - Asteroid

Is there a character limit in each to, cc, bcc fields in the email ouput tool? If so, what is the limit?

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Dittau, from what I've seen in other discussions this is 264. You can work around this by having a record for each recipient i.e. having them all on their own row, instead of a concatenated list.

Dittau
8 - Asteroid

Is it 264 characters total among all of the options (to,cc,bcc) or 264 per item (cc: 264, to:264…etc)

also, could you demonstrate the workaround you mentioned?

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Dittau so if you're hitting the character limit, you'll have a list like this, separated by something like a semi-colon:

DataNath_0-1681337257754.png

To get them into their own records, just use a Text-to-Columns, specifying whatever delimiter you have and splitting to rows:

DataNath_1-1681337335981.png

If there's a space as well like in my example then just trim that:

DataNath_2-1681337381502.png

Now you can just plug your Email tool in and it'll send one email per record to that person.

If you're using CC and BCC too, you might want to build in some logic so that they only get placed next to a single record otherwise they'll receive emails for every single one!

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

@Dittau 

Depending on your use case, you may consider creating Mailing List in your email server, you send your mail to the pre-define mailing list address and the email server distributed the information, just Google "Mailing List"

Mailing list 

Google search "Mailing List" 

hth

Arnaldo

Labels