Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Chaining Workflows through Events with Dynamic input

gus1787
5 - Atom

Hi All,

Looking for help in chaining workflows through the Event tab. I understand how to do this locally, by adding the file path into the event and having Alteryx read it and process the sequential workflow. 

I'm looking for advice on doing the above at the server level, can I paste a URL into the event section, and have Alteryx Server work the 2nd workflow as an event? What's an example of what the input would look like?

Second, and maybe this should be it's own topic, but I'm trying to dynamically call a value from the first workflow to the second. An easy example would be that I need the name of the first workflow, as an input into the second workflow. I believe this can be done with a bat file attached as an asset in the event, but how would the bat file be referenced when creating the second workflow?  I'm not sure how to reference it as an input. 

The above is what I'm looking for help with, I'll explain below what the goal of the project is, and if you have any other ideas of how to go about the solution in a scalable way, I'm all ears. Hopefully this can help others realize the different use cases of this software. 

I'm trying to create a log of workflow error checking that is written to a SQL Server table. My group has multiple workflows that we're creating, and we're trying to track whether or not they're being successfully executed, So the first workflow would be some simple ETL work, no need to delve further. And the second workflow would be pulling the dynamic input of anything from the first table, joining a couple of fields off a second table. (Name, Last updated date, successfully ran, etc). And writing to a separate table, that we would then visualize and explain how often our workflows break. Example akin to "last injury in a warehouse". 

Thanks for your help,

Gus

2 REPLIES 2
amitupadhyay
8 - Asteroid

In my opinion, the best way would be to create a Macro which launches any workflow hosted on the Alteryx Server Gallery using POST API call. You can look into the Alteryx API documentation to create a request URL for POST API call. Based on your Alteryx Server version you also may need to look into whether you need OAUTHv1 or OAUTHv2 authorization for your API call. You would only need AppID as input to your macro. If you have multiple workflows to be called for a run, you may think of converting this macro into a Batch macro.

Similarly, you can create another GET API macro to gather the status and all messages (including error messages) of any previously run workflow on the Alteryx Server Gallery. Look API documentation for the same. 

gus1787
5 - Atom

Thanks for the response, 

This definitely works for all of our workflows in Alteryx Server. Now I need to find out what to do w/ the workflows that are ran locally. 

I'd still like to know how to dynamically bring input to a second workflow through an event, but this does push me closer to a solution for the problem as a whole. 

Labels