Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Building Radius Maps

meekben
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow that runs a unique point (sold-to ID or city) through find nearest tool to find nearby retail points within a set radius. At present it only works for a single point at a time. How would I loop through a list of points to find nearest for each of them and union all the results together? End product would be a Tableau map that allows user to select a point and see all nearest store locations. If there is an alternative approach to get this result, please enlighten me.

3 REPLIES 3
meekben
7 - Meteor

I solved my own problem, please disregard.

miketoryfter
5 - Atom

Would you mind sharing how you did it? I'm working through a similar issues. Trying to find locations within a 50-mile radius of each other. Through Tableau, I'd like to be able to select the location and see which locations are within 50-miles of it. Overlap is ok.

meekben
7 - Meteor

I used a geocoder tool to get the location points, filter out the set of locations I want my user to be able to select from (this could be store locations, cities, etc.) and pull the uniques. Then feed that into the target input for the "find nearest" tool. The universe input is all locations.

From within your configuration for the "find nearest" tool, set the number of nearest points and max distance. One key for me here was unchecking the "ignore 0 distance matches". Then I could use the 0 distance property to color my drop-down list differently from the universe points within Tableau. 

One other tip: you can always set the max distance to a large value and then provide your user a slider or other toggle in Tableau to let them choose the radius (rather than being limited to 50 miles only). Hope this helps!

Labels