Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Browse tool not profiling correctly

AlterixNoob
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone - I have a .csv file with around 400K lines and i'm trying to analyze it using the browse tool. The browse tool reads the total records correctly (400K) but when i look at one field, it only profiles around 3000 records.

Does anyone know why this is happening and if there's a work around for this? Alteryx used to do it properly in previous versions i think.

5 REPLIES 5
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @AlterixNoob,

There is a 300MB cap to the data profiling element of the browse tool, noted in the documentation here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/browse-tool 

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1617792947764.png

How big is your data source in terms of fields/columns?

Kind regards,

Jonathan

AlterixNoob
7 - Meteor

Quite large. around 400K Lines with around 100 columns. The files are roughly 150mb .csv files.

Is there any workaround for this? I might uninstall Alteryx and install the previous version as this is quite important functionality for me.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

What kind of tests are you trying to perform? Anything that can be found in the data profiling window you'll also be able to do with your standard summarise and unique tools i'd expect.

AlterixNoob
7 - Meteor

Thanks - There's no particular tests i'm trying to perform which is the issue.  I want to understand the data which is over 400k lines and based on that understanding I will perform further analysis. It was quite handy to just apply the browse tool and filter the information easily and get an understanding of each field (i.e. how many nulls, what the information contains, any unique values? etc.)

I know you can do that with other tools which is great but it's way quicker to do it through a browse tool just to get an understanding of the data.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Although not recommended, you can change the memory usage in the user settings under Options > User Settings > Defaults. This may allow you to profile your data.

You can also use a Select to narrow down your dataset prior to using a Browse.

echuong1_0-1617805441262.png

Labels