Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Automatically fill color & text in comment's container based on output

amadra
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

We have a workflow which is run every morning to perform a control check on some data.
Based on the data, the result could be satisfactory, important weakness or not satisfactory. 

The result is display at the end of the workflow in a colored comment's box

Is it possible to add color and text to the comments box automatically based on the result?

For example - 

• If the rating (result) is "Satisfactory" then color green
  • If the rating is "Important weakness" then orange
  • If the rating is "Not Satisfactory" then red

Is this possible in Alteryx?

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@amadra One way of doing this with the table tool

binuacs_0-1663621370576.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @amadra 

The attached workflow do that and export it to excel, you just need to adapt the formatting.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1663621661651.png

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

Hi @amadra ,

Commenting tools do not change based on the workflow.

They cannot therefore be associated with the results of the data of a column because once they have been customized, they remain as they are.

However, you can with the table reporting tool add colors according to the values ​​of the Rating column.

I did a test with this tool that you can find attached.

Emmanuel_G_0-1663621773222.png

amadra
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs @Felipe_Ribeir0 @Emmanuel_G  - thank you for your responses.

I am aware that the coloring can be added to the output formatting.
I wanted to know there is a way to automatically color the comments box by somehow tweaking the canvas XML code of the comments box.
It seems like there is no way to do this.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@amadra So, you want to change the collor of the comment box inside the workflow based on some logic, right?

Yes, it is possible. I did something similar using this example, here the guy does that because it is necessary for some chained apps. You can use the same logic, adapting it for your situation: Chained Alteryx Analytic Applications - Alteryx Community

If you take a look at the XML of your workflow, you will see that you can fild the lines to change. You need to change this Fill Color parameter with the right RGB code. The idea is, you gonna need to input the XML file of this workflow into another workflow, filter the specific lines that you want to change, use the formula tool to change it and output the changed XML file.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1663861399522.png

PS: I personally dont like the idea of changing workflow XML files, you can corrupt the files if something wrong is done. The other problem is, if you are planning to change XML files inside your Alteryx Server environment, it will be a problem. This is discussed on the topic above too. But if it is really necessary, good luck :)

amadra
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for sharing @Felipe_Ribeir0 - I will give this a try.

Labels