Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Auto field with Scientific Notation

AdilSo
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

i am using Auto field in order to automatically detect the columns type. 

It seems that auto field is not able to detect doubles when we have Scientific Notation.

Do you know how to get over this ?

Thanks 

Adil

PS : I can't change the input data format

10 REPLIES 10
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@AdilSo use toNumber() function

AdilSo
6 - Meteoroid

If my understanding is correct, this means that i need to determine which column is a Double and apply toNumber() on them before the Auto Field. 

What i need is to make the AutoField detect the boolean columns automatically. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@AdilSo Boolean basically returns Ture/Flase value. What is the column value you are trying to change the type to boolean. 

AdilSo
6 - Meteoroid

sorry i made a mistake when typing, what i meant is : What i need is do is to make the AutoField detect the columns' types automatically. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@AdilSo I tried with a TRUE/FALSE value in the column and the autofield converted it in to boolean

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AdilSo 

Can you provide a small input sample to demonstrate the problem?  If you can provide it in the same format as your input file, Excel, csv, etc.

Thanks

Dan

AdilSo
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @danilang

Here is a file that shows the issue i have.

AutoField is not able to detect that some columns are double

Thanks

Adil

fvilelabr
Alteryx
Alteryx
A workaround could be using the Multi-Field Formula Tool. In this case, you could check all columns, including the Dynamic or Unknown Fields in order to try convert all of them to double:

fvilelabr_0-1648041299088.png

AdilSo
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the answer but still not enough. When doing this, the string and dates columns a replaced by "0". which is not the objective 😣

My original dataset has 100 col in different types. i want to avoid defining the types manually for each column as i know that the may change

Labels