Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Arrange Tool Can Mimic Transpose Tool

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Can the Arrange tool mimic the Transpose tool on certain scenarios?

Have you ever come across this? If not, you have to try it.

Some time ago I mentioned that the Arrange tool can mimic the Transpose tool to Mark Thompson @Watermark 

Some time went by, and I kind of forgot about it, but I mentioned again to Alex Sepenu @KorkuSep , and I remembered again.

This is the approach.

Step 1: If you would like to follow along, get an arrange tool into the canvas and add a column with no Key Fields for grouping.

Spoiler
Step01.jpg

Step 2: The key is to name the Column Header: Value and the Description Header: Name.

In this process, you can also select as many columns to transpose in here.

Spoiler
Step02.jpg

Step 3: The additional requirement is that you have to type the name of the column in the Name column for all columns you select.

Spoiler
Step03.jpg

Step 4: For comparison purposes, you can bring a Transpose tool to the canvas and select the same columns to transpose with no groupings.

Spoiler
Step04.jpg

Optional Step 5: If you would like to transpose more columns with the arrange tool after adding the first column, you need to add rows and select the value from the drop down menu and type the name of the column in the Name column.

Spoiler
Step05.jpg

Here is the attached file with the example; please try it for yourself.

2 REPLIES 2
Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@JORGE4900 , good stuff, do you have a recommendation about when you might want use one vs the other?

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Watermark 

I think we all know that the Transpose tool just pivots the data vertically, and there are plenty of uses for that. However, it took me a little longer to figure out when to use the arrange tool, and I figure that it should be used when you would want to pick certain columns out of the bunch and put them into a new column.

On the following example, I select multiple sales columns and call the column name: Sales and auto-populate the column descriptions using the "Take from Field Names" description mode. This method puts all those columns into a single one for easier analysis. The longer option would be to use the formula tool and select each column into the formula or use the Multi-Field formula to analyze data.

Spoiler
Step06.jpg
Labels