Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Are the Tool Containers Actually Running Sequentially?

saifafayed
5 - Atom

I am quite new to Alteryx and have created four workflows so far. I want them to run one after the other but using the run button once instead of four separate times, so I have created a separate workflow and copied and pasted the four workflows in separate containers in that new workflow. I notice that they are running in an order, however, none of the places I have looked for sequential runs have mentioned this method. Am I doing this correctly or do I need to make macros like the forums have recommended? None of the inputs of each of the workflows depend on each other, although they are all writing to the same Excel file in separate sheets. I am on version 2022.1.1.42691

2 REPLIES 2
JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

Hi @saifafayed 

The regular tool containers are simply a way to group tools together, potentially to document, or to turn off/minimise sections of the workflow. They won't play any part in orchestration. 2023.1 had an update called Control Containers which may be confusing you when you look it up online, since they look like containers but also have input and output anchors that allow you to run sections of your workflow in a desired order. 

Pre-control containers, the most common methods for orchestration were the Runner Macros or Parallel Block Until Done, both of which are Crew macros, which you can find out more about at this link: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

To output to the same excel in separate sheets, control containers would be best if you can update, but I'd expect use of the block until done tools should suffice for your use case if you're stuck on 2022.1.

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

You want to use the new Control Containers if you want to run the containers sequentially. You can daisy chain them one after the other, and the next container wont run until the prior one has completed. See the link below for more information about it.

Control Container Tool (alteryx.com)

Labels