Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Append rows to the output file

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I have an output file that has multiple sheets and in one of the sheets I am appending rows from an input file based on only one column. For eg...I am appending column A - account number and rest of the columns are formula based so once the data is appended in column A,,,other columns like B,C ,D will auto populate based on column A. 

However the data is not getting appended exactly below the previous row. for eg if in the sheet the previou row was in row nuber 10, I am expecting the data to be appended from row 11 however it is not getting appended in row 11 however in some vague row like 15000. 

Coud you please help me with this. 

18 REPLIES 18
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @mihir_mir_jb ,

Can you share your workflow ?

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

As your columns after the A one are formula based, have you extended your formulas after your last row of data in your file ?

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I have extended the formula after the last row of the data.

In the attached untitled.png file you can see that my last row was ending on row 1619 also the formula has been dragged after row 1619, however if you notice in capture.png file the new records are appended from rows 45761 instead of 1620.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mihir_mir_jb 

Can you provide the sample input and destination output files.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

By any chance, are your formulas extended up to row 45760 ? I suspect that is the case so Alteryx consider those rows as populated and it appends from here.

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

@Jean-Balteryx no the formulas are not extended up to row 45760

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Can you share your your data files ?

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @mihir_mir_jb 

Your Excel file has formatting or some remnants of previous data in the rows beyond your 'true' data.

You can confirm that in your file with 'Ctrl' + 'End'.

Consider formatting your Excel data as a table with a defined named range, then output to the named range, complete with field mapping.

Alternatively, read in all NonNull/Non-blank, Non-Empty rows, union them with your new data, sort/subsort, then 'overwrite' your Excel range (excluding columns with formulas).

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

I kind of figured out the append issue - I deleted all the blank rows after row # 1619 (as mentioned earlier) and now the new data is getting appended from row # 1620. Though I had to remove the formulas from column B starting from row 1620. 

Do you'll know how can I add back the formula using Alteryx? 

Labels