Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx breaking shared Excel links

adamhoog
6 - Meteoroid

I've got a number of workflows that are updating or overwriting Excel files that I've shared internally with various team members.

Whenever I run my workflow to update those files, the Office 365 links that I've shared for those files no longer work.

Any idea what I can do to maintain the sharing of those Excel files as I continue to update through through Alteryx?

9 REPLIES 9
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If you "Overwrite Sheet or Range" then it should remain in tact - if you are using "Overwrite File (Remove)" then it makes sense as it is replacing the entire file.

Which option are you using?

adamhoog
6 - Meteoroid

I'm using "Overwrite Sheet or Range".

nagakavyasri
12 - Quasar

'Overwrite Sheet or Range' overwrites the data in the file without replacing the file. If it is not working try 'Append to Existing Sheet' if you want new data to append to existing data.

Append.png

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@adamhoog I can't replicate your issue so can you send over your workflow (ideally as a .yxzp - Options > Export Workflow)?

adamhoog
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I’ve attached the workflow and I’m using Alteryx Designer x64 Version:  2023.1.1.123. I’ve been experiencing this error for the past month whenever I’ve run a workflow with an output Excel file that has been shared with another user.

The error is not occurring in Alteryx, but instead when a user attempts to open the output file that had previously been shared through Office 365.

To provide some more details, here is the flow of the error.

Excel file is shared through Office 356’s “Share” function in Excel by clicking Share >  Copy Link and then copying the provider link

ss2.png

ss1.png

The file is accessible at this point through the shared link. Next, I run the workflow without any errors in Alteryx. However, the previously shared link no longer works and is pointing to a .xlsx.bak file.

ss3.png

Additionally, I am sometimes seeing a second backup file created

ss4.png

(see LS-LT570-Win10.bak file)

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @adamhoog,

The export didn't include the data. Can you include the data?

From the face of it, it all looks correct and I still can't replicate your issue on my side. I created a process that replicates your output and did the same Share > Copy Link, re-ran the workflow, and the same link still works.

The only thing I saw is that you didn't specify an end to your range - it says "A1:G". Try to specify a large number that would capture all fo the possible data, such as A1:G100000.

-Alex

adamhoog
6 - Meteoroid

This appears to be an issue with OneDrive and how Alteryx creates backup files. The issue is occurring when I have the Excel output set to Overwrite Sheet or Range and a .xlsx.bak file is created.

When I change to Overwrite File (Remove), the issue does not present itself and a .xlsx.bak file is not created. However, I also lose all formatting on my output Excel file, which is a problem.

I also believe this is the same issue presenting itself in a different way: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Issue-with-One-Drive-Version-H...

When I run the Alteryx process with the output set to Overwrite Sheet or Range, I'm also losing any version history on OneDrive.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @adamhoog,

I agree that the version history doesn’t store, but I haven’t seen a link be broken. Can you export the workflow so it includes the data?

-Alex

Melissa
5 - Atom

I am having the same issue. I have a large Shared Excel file. Yesterday I created a workflow to update (append lines) to the sheets in the share workbook. Today found out that no one could access the file and upon review all of the sharing was removed. This is not good to have to reshare every time the workflow runs (which will be daily).

Labels