Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Browser Input?

MarekRe
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am wondering if the below workflow could be achieved in Alteryx:

The workflow in a nutshell:

1. The accountant saves a specific excel file on SharePoint.*
  2. SharePoint sends the e-mail alert to Financial Controller that the report has been prepared.*
  3. The FC goes to Alteryx Server/Browser (?), selects the parameter (how many top items she wants to be analyzed). I don't want the Financial Controller to open Alteryx Designer on her desktop.
  4. Point 3 runs Alteryx workflow and triggers specific Excel macros to be run.
  5. Excel macros are supposed to do a simple ETL process**.
  6. Prepared Excel reports after completing point #5 are saved on SharePoint and send by e-mail with a specific body.

*These steps I will automate with Microsoft Power Automate, so no need for Alteryx here.

**These steps cannot be done in Alteryx, as some tables need to have a specific layout, formatting, etc. Plus, the Excel macros are already up and running, so I don’t see much value in re-writing these steps into Alteryx.

thank you,

Marek

2 REPLIES 2
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi

So all of the steps 1 - 5 seem like they could either be completed in Power Automate (you are already doing some of that, so I’d be interested on what the Alteryx bit at steps 3-4 do that can’t be done in Power Automate and Power Flow?), or in Alteryx.

In terms of your triggering Excel macros, I assume you mean to run a VBA script. This post and the links within it detail how this can be triggered by Alteryx - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Run-VBA-Code-from-Alteryx/td-p/564133

Also for formatting Excels, there is this post from @JosephSerpis which details how to do formatting within Alteryx - 

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
MarekRe
7 - Meteor

Brilliant - I didn't know that Power Automate can trigger Excel macros. I will explore this - thank you!

I always want to limit the number of tools used in the process due to maintenance and troubleshooting in the future.

thank you once again.

Labels