Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Add sheet to existing workbook

Mukeshy12390
Astéroïde

Hi All -

I have created on workflow which generate output and save same output to specific sheet along with existing sheet.

everything work fine. since have to do some formatting to output I had to used "Report Tool" and "Render Tool" but it doesn't work for me.

when I remove sheet name it works but delete all the existing sheet.

could anyone suggest something.

Mukeshy12390Jpmc_0-1606236389808.png

Mukeshy12390Jpmc_1-1606236389819.png

Mukeshy12390Jpmc_0-1606236561419.png

Thanks

Mukesh

10 RÉPONSES 10
AngelosPachis
Nébuleuse

Hi @Mukeshy12390 ,

At the moment, you are not defining the sheet within which you want to save your table. Alteryx does that by using the ||| notation. 

C:\Users\xxx\xxxx\My Tableau Repository\Datasources\2020.3\en_US-US\Sample - Superstore.xls|||`Orders$`

Observe how after my superstore.xls file, I have three "|" to denote that within this xls file, I want to create a sheet called Orders.

You should do a similar thing, so change the file path for each one of the records you want to save under a specific sheet.

Give this a try and let me know if it worked for you

Mukeshy12390
Astéroïde

thanks for the reply.I tried it doesn't work.

I'm passing path and sheet details by group data.

Mukeshy12390Jpmc_0-1606287378834.png

AngelosPachis
Nébuleuse

Hi @Mukeshy12390 

What type of formatting happens in your Report Table tool?

I'm sure that the raw data before the report table can be outputted to different excel tabs. Would that work for you?

I thought the same was doable with the report snippets, but it tuned out this is not the case.

Mukeshy12390
Astéroïde

with fullpath and sheet reference  it doesn't work. when I remove sheet reference from path it works  .. it creates workbook but removes all the existing sheet in my case I need those existing sheet.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

As far as I know, Rendering tool always overwrite existing file(always make as new file).

How about reading the existing file and reformatting the data in Designer and new data and existing data that is reformatted put into the same xlsx file.

Mukeshy12390
Astéroïde

they are about 150 sheets in (different 15 excel file ) all existing sheet has function GUI that Alteryx doesn't support.

like pivot.group/ungroup Data validation etc.

I'm really surprised the way "Render tools" works.

Thanks

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Mukeshy12390 

From what you've told me, my proposed method is too difficult.

I also often think that the rendering tool is lacking in features.

If you think there are features that make the Designer better, you can post the new idea.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/idb-p/product-ideas

AngelosPachis
Nébuleuse

Hi @Mukeshy12390 ,

On a second thought, you can achieve that with the Render tool. You just have to use a Layout tool, configured as shown below

Screenshot 2020-11-26 115922.jpg

Then leave your render tool with a default configuration, so no need for you to define a group.

Another way is that proposed in the following post :

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Render-to-multiple-tabs-in-1-excel-fil...

Either should work for you.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Angelos

Mukeshy12390
Astéroïde

thanks for the reply.

I tried it doesn't work it does create multiple tab but removes all the existing file (all previous sheet).

what I have observed in RENDER tool there is no option to put sheet name. 

Étiquettes