Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to specify the default version when having both ADMIN and NON-ADMIN version?

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

My computer has both Designer 2022.3-Admin(installed first) and 2023.2-Non-admin(installed later . As per our company policy, I have to mainly work with 2022.3, and sometime with 2023.2.

Unfortunately, when opening workflow(.yxmd, .yxmc, any extensions), I want to launch 2022.3 as a default, but 2023.2 launches instead.

My question is how can I prioritize either of different version of Alteryx Designer to launch?(In my case, it is 2022.3-Admin)

Though I tried to change Setting=>Application,,,could not find something. Do I have to replace any PATH? I'm stuck, and appreciate any advice. 

2 REPLIES 2
Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

1. Check Environment Variables:

Right-click on "This PC" or "My Computer" and select "Properties."

Click on "Advanced system settings" on the left.

In the System Properties window, click on the "Environment Variables" button.

Look for the "Path" variable in the "System variables" section.

Check if the path to the folder containing Alteryx 2023.2 comes before the path to the folder containing Alteryx 2022.3.

If it does, you may need to reorder the paths or remove the path to the 2023.2 version.

2. Create Shortcuts:

You can create desktop shortcuts for both versions of Alteryx Designer.

Right-click on the Alteryx Designer shortcut you use to open files (e.g., .yxmd, .yxmc).

Select "Properties."

In the "Target" field, you can add the full path to the specific Alteryx Designer executable you want to use. For example, it might look something like:

3. Associate File Types:

Right-click on a file with the extension you want to associate (e.g., .yxmd).

Select "Open with" and then "Choose another app."

Browse and select the Alteryx Designer executable you want to use (e.g., Alteryx2022.3-Admin\AlteryxDesigner.exe).

Check the box that says "Always use this app to open .yxmd files."

4. Check Registry Settings:

Be cautious when modifying the Windows Registry, as it can cause issues if not done correctly. However, you can check the registry settings related to file associations.

Open the Registry Editor by typing "regedit" in the Run dialog (Windows key + R).

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.yxmd.

Check the (Default) value to see which Alteryx Designer version it is pointing to.

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Hammad_Rashid Thank you for your reply. Though I checked the above 4 ways, it seems not solving yet. It is weird that when I directly launch AlteryxGUI.exe in 2022.3 folder, it launches 2023.2. I'm not sure what is happening, and I'm scared about this behavior, I'm going to delete 2023.2.

Labels