Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #7: Marvel-ous Comics

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest #6. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below.

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

1. Download and extract the provided ZIP file containing your starting data and workflow files.
  2. Upload the provided Cloud Quest 7 - Start File.json into your Analytics Cloud library.
  3. Reconnect the provided charactersToComics.csv and comics.csv datasets to your starting workflow file.
  4. Reconnect the Solution (Task 1).csv file to the Output Solution for Task 1 if you would like to review it. The Task 2 solution output is provided in the JSON file.

For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article Cloud Quest Submission Process Update.

Scenario:

Marvel Comics has a long history dating back to the 1930s and has created hundreds of characters we still find in superhero stories today. For today’s quest you will be blending and parsing data to identify every appearance of each character in Marvel Comics’ publication history (up to 2018).

Task 1: Use the provided datasets to determine the title, year, and issue number of every comic in which the characters in the Characters Text Input tool appear.

Task 2: Identify the first appearance of each character - year and issue number.

* Remove records without a publication year before sampling.

For those of you who are curious, titles without a published year are generally trade paperbacks and omnibuses that are collections of previously published comic issues. These are organized in narrative order rather than publication date and may include multiple titles contributing to the same storyline.

Hint: Use the RegEx tool to parse comic titles and publication years. Use a Summarize tool to group parsed data by Character Name, Comic Title, Publication Year, and Issue Number.*

*If you notice records with an issue number of -1, this is a numbering convention Marvel sometimes uses to indicate a prequel story. This will not affect your result.

Spoiler

A combination of the RegEx, Join, Summarize, Formula, Filter, and Sample tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library.

• Download your workflow solution file.
  • Include your JSON file and a screenshot of your workflow as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYXAcademy_0-1714577119577.png

13 REPLIES 13
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

A bit frustrating to get through as it seems like the solution for Task 2 doesn't match, but here we go!

Spoiler
Quest #7.png
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Oh, I was ALMOST first to post my solution! Not quite. Mine is a bit ugly and I'm not sure where I lost 2 records. But I got to the results. 

Spoiler
CloudQuest7Solution-TS.png
Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks for the callout here. There was one record in the Characters text input tool that had trailing whitespace which may have caused an incorrect join. This has been fixed now. Also, task 2 assumes you have filtered out records without a publication year. This wasn't clear in the instructions and has also been fixed. Thank you.

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Quest7_JeffF.png
tshih18
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 2.45.59 PM.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution!

It took a little time for matching the record count for task 1.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-05-03 141023.png
nwaters
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is my solution

Spoiler
2024-05-03_14-28-31.png
bradshaw
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here's my solution

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 6.39.20 PM.png
RobertW
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think I'm missing something for Task One since it's not quite lining up.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 2.54.38 PM.png