Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
PaulR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Having spent more time with Alteryx customers who use us for marketing optimization, I realize there are some key themes emerging in our conversation:

1. There is much more data on what a customer thinks (customer analytics) and does than has been available than ever before. This is even the case in business-to-business organizations.
  2. There is a conflict inherent in the traditional centralization and control of data assets that is preventing marketing and customer intelligence professionals from evolving in this new environment.
  3. There is frustration that the more sophisticated analytics required to really make the most of this data are only available to a small group of people.

We've seen similar issues play out before with the sales and marketing automation industry. The traditional vendors such as Seibel couldn't adapt quickly enough to a changing environment. IT departments couldn't meet line of business requirements quickly enough, and a very small number of employees or consultants could actually use or adapt the system - thus salesforce.com won.

I believe the same thing will occur in customer intelligence and marketing analytics. With the new customer data spread all over new systems and sources, and the systems of engagement revolution occurring, marketing needs more direct access to the data and analytics that shapes strategy and execution. The heavy weight, IT and Ph.D. led projects will simply fail to meet the evolving requirements of marketers.

I'll be discussing these issues with Rob Brosnan, Senior Analyst at Forrester, on a webinar on the 23rd of August.

Paul Ross
VP of Product & Industry Marketing