The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

User setting to turn off "default local time zone"

My testing has shown that when a datetime field is input from a Snowflake table, the Input tool will convert the data to reflect the datetime as local time to the machine the workflow is run on. 

For example, this is a data set from a direct query to Snowflake...

RodLight_0-1650405192656.png

This is what is coming out of the Input tool with the machine set to Pacific time...

RodLight_1-1650405305908.png

However when setting the machine to Central time, the results from the Input tool are...

RodLight_2-1650405405523.png

This obviously can wreck havoc with inconsistencies of subsequent reporting off of this data. 

Since Snowflake carries the UTC offset as part of the data, it would be nice to have the ability to disable this "assumption" by Alteryx that the results should convert the datetime to the machine datetime. This way the data could pass through with the datetime values that are held in the database.

3 Comments
AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I just discovered this recently. I'm a little surprised more people aren't comments or posts about this issue. 

It's fairly simple to fix this with a Multi-Field tool but I don't feel like I should have to add that step every time I am pulling data out of Snowflake.

rhipp87
7 - Meteor

I haven't used Snowflake input yet, but does it help if you add this in the presql Statement?

ALTER SESSION SET TIMEZONE = 'UTC';