The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Multi-Fill Tool

Multi-Fill Tool

Please consider a new Multi-Fill tool, not for Apps, but for regular workflows, manually run or scheduled.

Similar to the Interface tool-combination of the Text Box & Action (Update value) tools, this Multi-Fill tool would enable the user to update, for example, the User Name and Password in one place for multiple Download tools. It could also be used to update other tool variables like Filter, Sort, Unique, etc.

4 Comments
petrl
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi, @charlieepes!

I just wanted to check if an existing DCM feature would solve your username and password problem.

DCM, as is currently integrated into the Download tool, allows you to expand the credentials within certain Download tool requests, as described in the Download tool help page.

This should allow you to store the credentials needed for the Download tool in one place, inside the DCM, while being able to use the credentials (almost) anywhere in the request.

It does of course only solve the credentials problem you're describing and can't really help with unifying filters, sorting, and other operations. Hope this helps!

charlieepes
7 - Meteor

Hi @petrl :
Yes, this will work nicely for Download tools. I was also thinking about other tool variables like Filter, Sort, Unique, etc. where we might want to universally change a field.

Thanks-

petrl
Alteryx
Alteryx

Understood! The only existing solution (more like a workaround) I can think of is to create a macro with the desired set of operations and use it in various places, allowing you to modify all instances together, although still not enabling truly dynamic change when using analytical apps or creating macros with that.

Such a tool would make creating complex workflows/apps much easier 👍 It would seem to me to fall more under the Interface category, cc @AlteryxCommunityTeam (not sure if you can add additional labels)

charlieepes
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the feedback @petrl . I thought about the Interface category but I didn't want it to be clustered with App-related tools, unless it makes more sense to you.
Thx